Today I’m going to show you how to make the perfect comfort pudding, best of all it’s refined sugar free and dairy free. It’s also totally delicious.
This year we got to our favourite brambling spot early and picked some lovely juicy blackberries.
With rhubarb growing on our allotment, it wasn’t difficult to decide on the first pudding of the year!
This rhubarb and bramble eves pudding is so easy to make and knowing it’s good for me makes that second slice even easier!
I started by slicing up the rhubarb into one inch chunks then layering them into a pyrex dish with the freshly rinsed brambles, drizzled over the honey, and roasted on medium for a full hour.
See my fancy layering skills below!
While the fruit roasts I whisked the oil, honey and eggs together before folding in the flour, spice and baking powder. (Yes that’s it, SO easy!)
When the fruit came out there was a lot of liquid (see above) so I drained off a good two thirds and covered in the ‘cake batter’.
I will probably drain off even more next time, leaving enough just to cover the bottom.
I turned the oven up to 180 and popped it back in for half an hour. You can tell it’s cooked when you poke the top and it springs straight back up.
If I’d known homemade custard was this easy and tasty I would not have bought so many tins over the years!
First combine the eggs and cornflour in a mixing bowl, then heat the honey, almond milk and vanilla essence over the stove.
Once boiling pour the milk onto the egg mix while stirring briskly, then return the mixture to the pan and stir constantly until thickened.
Ignore everything else going on around you at this point…if you stop stirring it goes lumpy.
Note: Don’t buy any old almond milk, they can be full of sugars and sweeteners! We use rude health which you can buy from amazon here.
Now serve and take all the credit for making such a delicious pudding while someone else clears up!
- 2 stalks of rhubarb cut into 1” slices
- 3 cups of brambles
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 500ml almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- Layer rhubarb and brambles in oven proof dish. Drizzle over honey then roast at 150C for 1 hour.
- While the fruit is roasting prepare the cake mix -
- Whisk the eggs, honey and olive oil together. Fold in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
- Once the fruit is cooked, drain off about 2/3 of the liquid. Turn oven up to 180C. Spread the cake mixture over the fruit and return to oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Turn oven off and make custard-
- Whisk eggs and cornflour in a heat proof bowl. Combine almond milk, vanilla essence and honey in a pan and heat until just boiling. Carefully pour the milk over the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Return the mixture to the pan and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.